Limerick Library’s oldest book?

One of the oldest original edition books (if not the oldest) in our collection is Samuel Mullenaux’s Diary of the Siege of Lymerick, printed and published in 1690.

The diary portion relating to the siege was transcribed and reproduced in full for the Siege edition of The Old Limerick Journal (vol. 28, Winter 1990) by the then-curator of Limerick Museum, the late Larry Walsh, who also wrote a very important introduction, placing the Diary in context and considering the veracity of the ‘facts’ contained therein.

The Old Limerick Journal article can be read here.

Have a browse of the local studies’ journals collection here.